Friday, September 29, 2006

My favouritest treat

Want to know what it is? Ready? Vanilla cake. Plain old boring vanilla cake. With vanilla buttercream frosting. Lately, that is. I cycle through honey-glazed doughnuts and cinnamon buns too. But usually, it's cake. Yum. Scott and I laugh when we realize that I prefer vanilla cake and he prefers chocolate. Just like each other. Hee.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, I decided to bake one. I've been baking for years and trying different recipes for years and this one for cake and frosting is the easiest and most yummy. Try it and let me know how it turns out. I promise you'll love it.

Now, I've really got to go. I have a whole cake to polish off. Hm. Maybe I'll invite the neighbours over for an impromptu TGIF party. Wanna come over?

kxx

Buttermilk White Cake
3 cups cake flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup butter at room temperature
2 cups sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla
4 egg whites at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk or sour cream at room temperature
½ cup applesauce at room temperature
1/3 cup oil

1. In a bowl, sift together cake flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside to be added later. 2. In mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter together until fluffy.
3. To sugar and butter, add rest of wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
4. Gradually mix in flour mixture until all is combined. Continue to beat, incorporating air, for an additional 1½ minutes.
5. Pour in to 3 8" greased and wax paper lined rounds or 1 9"x13" pan.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes for the rounds, 30-35 minutes for 9"x13" pan.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
5 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Cream butter until smooth
2. Mix everything together until creamy, resisting the urge to eat it all before you frost the cake.

No comments: