Thursday, June 29, 2006

Okay, so here's the deal

Summer's here and... the time is right for dancing in the street. Wait a minute... I got off track. Ever start to say something and it reminds you of a song? I can never say "summer's here" without thinking of that song. Damn Martha and the Vandellas. Anyway, Summer's here and I'm going to find it difficult to keep a blog every day. The kids are off school and Scott's intermittently home and all that stuff serves to throw me off big time. Especially the next few days and here's why. I'm going camping. You heard. On Saturday morning we're leaving bright and early, driving 11 hours to Delaware for the privilege of sleeping outside. Like a hobo.

I know people love the great outdoors. I'm just not one of them. Give me electricity and my own flushing toilet anyday. If I want to experience nature, I'll sit in my backyard with an ice cold beer in one hand and an Archie comic book digest in the other. Bob Marley would be blasting from the cd player in my livingroom and the phone and a crossword puzzle would be at my side in case of an emergency. If I get hungry, too hot, the air gets buggy or I have to pee, all I have to do is walk a few metres into the house. Why on earth would I subject myself to peeing, cooking, eating and sleeping outside? Am I crazy?

You bet I am. I'm crazy in love with my online friends who's unpopular idea (at least in my eyes) it is to do this. We've been friends since 1997 when we met on a bulletin board for women with babies due in June 1998. I haven't known people in real life that long. We're all different and fun and funny and I can't wait to meet them. Even though I have to drive to a state I've never cared to visit, sleep and pee in less than comfortable conditions, miss my favourite holiday (Canada Day) and spend 11 hours in a metal un-air-conditioned box (it's busted) with 3 kids and an indifferent husband. Scott's amazing, though. He's planning this trip like it means the world to him. Because it means the world to me. Amazing guy.

Anyway, that's the reason I've been so spotty blogging lately. And will be for the next week. I may not blog tomorrow and I definitely won't on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week. We'll probably be back on Thursday but I can't guarantee a blog that day. I'll be traumatised and will be recovering under the blankets in my air conditioned, water tight home and enjoying not having to share my toilet with countless digestively challenged strangers.

I can't wait to see how I feel about camping when I get back. I do know that no other living beings, not even the love of my life, could ever get me to sleep in a sleeping bag. For 38 years. Only my June girls. I hope they know how much power they have over me. Or maybe I don't...
See you all next week and wish me luck.

kxx

No comments: