Thursday, June 1, 2006

Let's talk about nudity today, shall we?

I've been writing this blog daily for months and it's been relatively clean but today let's get down and dirty, 'k? Okay, maybe not dirty but exactly the opposite. Let me explain.

I went to the Y today. It rained and Scott took the van so I had to bike it there. It was a 20 minute ride then when I got there I took an aquafit class. After the class I showered. In a communal shower. A normal thing for most people but a really cool thing for me.

Before my surgery my boobs were a freak show and I was about 30 pounds heavier than I am now. I'd always make excuses to not shower in public and run home all stinky and gross. I'd never put myself in a situation where I'd have to be nude in front of others. I've obviously gotten over it and it's because I've come to a few realizations:

1. Contrary to some men's lesbian fantasies, other women aren't ogling me. They are not eyeing me up and down. They're quickly soaping and scramming just like I'm trying to do. How do I know? Because I'm eyeing them up and down and they're definitely not looking back at me.

2. Other women have yuckier bodies than me. Okay, maybe not yuckier but just as yucky. We all sag, jiggle, have stretch marks and/or cellulite. Today I had hairy legs and pits and my c-section scar was looking particularly ropey. No one screamed in terror or fainted dead away.

3. My body is okay. It really is. For a mum with 3 kids (all via c section) who's train is rapidly clickety-clacking toward "Station Forty", it'll do. It gets me where I need it to go without pain (usually), it can bend, jump and did I mention it can run 10K?

Yup, nudity rocks.

kxx

No comments: