Thursday, June 8, 2006

Mmmm peanut butter...

I feel like Homer Simpson. Head back, eyes glazed, drool, the works. Every time I'm done working out, I reward myself with a peanut butter sandwich. I tell you, it's the perfect food. It's delicious on its own straight out of the jar with a spoon, and in complicated Thai chicken dishes. It's healthy (in reasonable amounts) and tastes like being a little kid. How great is that?

I often feel sorry for children who are allergic. And for my kids, frankly, who can't bring the perfect sandwich to school because of those children. I feel sorry for all involved.
When we were kids my brother Mike and I would take 4 slices of the softest, whitest Wonder bread, slather them with peanut butter on both sides and make what we called a "double decker peanut butter sandwich". Four layers of peanutty heaven. Don't forget the icy cold milk. And please don't insult the sandwich by putting butter on the bread first. You'll corrupt the flavour. There's a reason we don't put sugar on top of a banana split. Overkill.

Now that I'm older and my hips will never forgive me, I only eat my pb single style on brown bread but it's just as great. And peanut butter is such a team player. It plays nice with jam, chocolate, cream cheese, fruit and even that leftover cranberry sauce in the back of the fridge from Easter dinner. When I moved in with Scott, he introduced me to peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Before you groan and gasp in revulsion, you need to try this. It's orgasmic. The only thing I'm reluctant to try involving peanutbutter is that peanut butter sandwich recipe in the back of an old cookbook of mine involving a mix of pb, devilled ham, onion and mayo. Not too sure about that one.

One of our favourite dinners around here is "chicken popsicles". It's just chicken on skewers with sticky rice and spicy peanut sauce for dipping. I form the rice into balls and we eat everything with our hands. Good times in the Kaye household.

I'd love to run a peanut butter only restaurant. Every dish would include the versatile paste. Think about it: for breakfast, a stack of peanut butter and banana waffles with tons of maple syrup. Lunch, a classic pb&j with a frosty strawberry peanut butter milkshake on the side. Dinner would start with peanut vegetable soup, then peanut crusted beef with a side of Szechwan noodles and finish with a slice of chocolate peanut butter cheesecake. Sigh. Nirvana.
I'm going to sign off now as I have a delicious daydream to continue. Have a "nutty" day.

kxx

No comments: