Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Let's talk email forwards today, shall we?

I love my friends dearly. I really do. But when I open an email from you and find yet another inane joke, naked fireman photo or virtual snowball fight, a little piece of me dies. You heard me. Is it too much to ask that you preface it with a "This joke made me laugh and I thought of you" or even a simple "Hi Karen"? Maybe I'll read it. But mostly when I see the telltale "Fw:Fw:Fw..." on your email I just delete it. Sorry, but that's the way I roll, baby.

Now sometimes I'll fill out those "getting to know you" email form thingies. You know the ones: "What time is it?", "Coke or Pepsi?", "Fat and pretty or thin and ugly" kind of questions. I don't think I've ever divulged this to you but I LOVE filling out forms. Once at census time I got the short form and asked the the guy at my door to dig in his bag for a long version. He was shocked. It comes from a pathological need to talk about myself at every opportunity.

But I'll tell you a secret about those "get to know you" quizzes that are emailed around. You're supposed to fill them out and send it back to everyone in your address book. Well, when you send me one, yes, I do fill it out and yes, I do send it out. To you. And only you. Because I love talking about myself but I don't believe in holding you hostage in order to do it. Read my blog if you like or don't. It's up to you. You came to me. But if I mail you information about me that's unsolicited, isn't that some kind of assault? So I treat people as I'd like to be treated. I send it back to the sender who obviously doesn't mind these things and wants to know more about me. But I leave my other innocent buds alone and they can remain blissfully ignorant about my favourite flower (orange and fuschia gerber daisies, if you're asking).

All that said, most of my friends know I do this. So usually I only get emails tailored to my specific amusement needs. For instance, I just got from my good friend Josee the best website EVER. It's a repository of old television theme songs. So far, Wonder Woman is still on top for me. "All the world is waiting for youuuuuu and the power you posseeeeess! Fighting for your rights.... in your satin tights..." Pure gold baby. it ranks right up there with Fred Flintstone's ode to Wilma's "eyes as black as frying pans".

Anyway, I thought you all would get as much of a kick out of it as I did. Scott and I were sitting up until 11:30 last night listening to the themes from "The Banana Splits" and "Hong Kong Phooey". Click here but make sure you have time to kill. Now I've got to go. I have a couple forms to fill out.

kxx

No comments: