Friday, July 2, 2010

Just your average Wednesday.

On Wednesday night I had an audition. The director, to help me curb my nerves, kept saying "It's just your average Wednesday night." Not bloody likely.

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know I worked for a few months at a tv production studio. My old boss recommended me to audition for narrator in a video teaching grade 11 students about Ethiopia. Why not? It's something I can add to my sphere of experiences, right?

Well, I don't think I got the part. I think the only thing I had to my advantage was that I was Black. The narration was impossible. I had to read super slow... and... I... mean... soooperrrr... sllllloooowww, and I had to enunciate every syllable. When I get nervous or excited I talk even faster than I normally do and tend to cut out whole sections of words to save time. I also speak very nasally, sometimes making my m's sound like b's. That coupled with the fact that I was shot from the waist up so I had to make appropriate hand gestures (What? I can't gesture pointing my index finger up when I say the word 5?) and I found the word "rural" to be completely impossible to say under pressure (too much 30 Rock, I guess) makes me pretty sure I didn't get it. But it was really cool to see the process and again, I can chalk up another experience in my biography pamphlet.

Yup, just another average Wednesday, indeed.

kxx


The studio



My mark



My teleprompter





2 comments:

Nat said...

Hi Karen! Some SITS love coming all the way from California. I love 30 Rock, too! :-)
craftingcrazy.wordpress.com

April said...

Good job doing it, though! I am scared to audition for community theater. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!