Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pot-AY-to, pot-AAH-to

Scott and I have a debate a few times a week. It's about decals. I know, there are other more pressing things to debate like Karlheinz Schreiber and paper versus plastic but our continuing debate concerns the little plastic prints. Hey, we aren't deep.

I say the word is pronounced "DEE-kal", he says it's "dekkle". The whole time I lived in Montréal, I heard it (if I heard it... face it, it's not a word you hear often) like dee-cal. Since I moved here, I would say I've heard it 50/50 dee-cal/dekkle. And now that Scott makes plastic models he says it all the time and I swear it's like nails on a blackboard. To top it off, I heard a radio newscaster say dekkle this morning, chipping away at my smug staisfaction at being absolutely right.

So my question to you is this. How do YOU pronounce decal? I know most of you don't reply to this blog but lots of you read it. I know, I get about 40 hits a day. So if even half of you would kindly reply to this blog with your honest reply, I can show this to Scott with a definitive answer. And a nyah-nyah tongue.

So what do you say? Dee-cal or dekkle? Feel free to cut and paste and not write anything else but the pronounciation you use. I'll start you off...

kxx

No comments: