Friday, December 12, 2008

You've heard of mothers-in-law, now meet "knowledge-in-law"


Sometimes Scott really surprises me. We were watching tv one night and he recognised an actor way before I did. This is remarkable. Let me explain:

Scott doesn't often watch tv with me. And I love tv. A lot. I watch everything that comes on at least once. I often describe myself as being the lowest common denominator of the tv viewing public. Scott is far more discerning. He watches current affairs programmes, true life biographies, stories of World War 2, news, Coronation Street (!) and very rarely entertain-y stuff like The Tudors or Lost. We'll start watching something together and often he'll just wander off to the depths of his hobbyshop/office never to be heard from again until bedtime.

Once we were watching Mad Men (another one of his exceptions) and an ad came on. It was for some pain medicine and the actor was talking directly to the screen about how amazing the stuff was. Scott looked at it for a few seconds and says:

"Isn't that the guy from one of your shows?"

I look much more closely and realize that it's the actor who used to play Cass Winthrop from my old favourite soap opera Another World, a soap that was cancelled 9 years ago. Holy crap! For someone who I consider to "not watch tv", this was an incredible statement.

I call it my "knowledge-in-law theory". If one half of a spouse is rabidly interested in something, you can't help but pick up a few facts about it even if you're not the least bit interested in it. You never even know when it's happening. My knowledge-in-law theory is the reason why I can tell the difference between a Lancaster and a B-52 or a Spitfire and a Hurricane. They're circa WWII planes BTW.

The knowledge-in-law theory. Feel free to use the term. Just remember where you heard it first.

kxx


12 comments:

Robin said...

Hey, I've experienced this before. I'm glad to know there's a term for it. Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

I have far too much knowledge of Halo and Call of Duty for a girl who hates video games. Just sayin. :)

Happy SITS day!!

Kimberly said...

Wonder if this theory works with kids of single parents too?

Marie said...

Oh my gosh I know this in our own house. ;)

BTW I love your tag line on your blog!

Kristi said...

Completely true - I know the names of a few punk bands and lots of boxers which I would never, never on my own willingly learn about.

OneMommy said...

I love it. Probably explains why my husband can do something similar... He too is not a big t.v. watcher.
visiting from SITS

Alex said...

I can completely relate because in our relationship I am the major tv person. And in our 4 years together I have gradually turned my husband into a tv watcher but not nearly as devoted as me. But its also hilarious when he tries to identify an actor but he's never right about the actor, tv or movie. But he insist on arguing with me!

Congrats on your SITs day!

Debt Free Divas said...

I love your photography!!! It's beautiful. Very handsome looking family as well!!!

Debt Free Divas said...

Very nice theory. LOL! After 8 years, I can say i understand that football needs to move 10 yards at a time. But that's as far as I go with football :)

Kylie said...

lol, that is so cool. It is true, as one half of a couple you do pick up little things along the way.

Great term for it! :)

Following from SITS.

http://www.aspiringmillionaire.com

Sublime Dream said...

You sound JUST like my husband and I! My knowledge-in-law is mostly about NBA players and who they play for. =)

Stefanie said...

I am definitely going to "borrow that" :) thanks!