Monday, December 11, 2006

White Christmas, anyone?

No, I'm not talking about the weather, I'm talking movies. The Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye classic. What a movie. It's not Christmas without it. What movies do you like during the holiday? What tv shows are you really looking forward to watching? As an avid tv/movie watcher, this one plays to my strengths. I only hope I can keep this list shorter than my arm.

Scrooged. I know I could list the Alastair Sim version (and my traditional fave) but Bill Murray kills me in this one. And the Solid Gold Dancers? How can you not enjoy a Christmas special with guests the Solid Gold Dancers and Mary Lou Retton? Bobcat Goldthwait's magnum opus. Hilarious.

It's a Wonderful Life ("Don'cha know me Mary?")

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (D'uh)

A Charlie Brown Christmas (When Linus does the speech I get goosebumps)

The Sound Of Music (I'm not too sure why they play it at holiday time but they've made it a Christmas classic. It's one of my favourite things. People, I had to do it.)

A Christmas Story. A recent discovery for me. I first saw it about 3 years ago. How did it escape me for so long? Love when the father gets his "major award" and he reads the box: "Fra-GEE-lay. Must be Italian." His long suffering wife says "I think it says fragile, dear". Hee.

Elf. "Son-of-a-nutcracker!". Saw it only once but to me it became an instant classic. How funny is Will Ferrell? The sheer unself-consciousness of the man is absolutely charming. The whole movie is a delight. Awesome family stuff.

The Year Without A Santa Claus. My favourite of all the Rankin/Bass productions. It helps that it's not overplayed. Watch for my favourite part: when the Heat and Snow Misers sing their songs. Love it!

Father Christmas. "Happy bloomin' Christmas." You may have seen this British production on CBC and it's lovely and funny and grumpy. Santa is portrayed as a grouchy, politically incorrect curmudgeon. He has a great summer holiday but has to come home and work for the Christmas season. You also learn that he prefers booze to milk and cookies (just to let you know).

There are tons more but I can't think of them right now. Disagree with any of my choices? Reply and let me know. But remember it's my blog and I can do whatever I want. Within reason, of course. On second thought, if you disagree with me, get your own damn blog and complain about me in it. Oh, and Happy Holidays.

kxx