Wednesday, December 20, 2006

What a bad sister I am

The 3rd of December was my baby brother's birthday and I let it go by without immortalising him. How terrible is that? I did call him, though so at least I'm not the worst sister in the world.
So today is all about Mikey. Well, actually Errol Jr., but he'll always be Mikey to me. Let it be known that he's my favourite brother. No matter that he's my only brother. He's my fave. He is so cool and so fun and so funny... I think the sun rises and shines out of his big black butt.
My parents told me that when they brought him home from the hospital I was so jealous that I poured a glass of water on him in his crib. I think that was the last time I felt that way about him. He's always been there for me. When we were teens we'd talk about moving out of our parents' house together to a cool apartment in Old Montréal. It didn't happen but I often wish it had.

When Mike got drunk for the first time it was with me and my friends. We have lots of great drunk stories but there's no way I'm sharing them today. Suffice it to say that he passed out. Often. Oh, and then there was the time he was actually the soberest person who could drive. So this high school kid drove a car full of drunken college kids home with only his learners permit in hand. Did we ever thank you for that one Mikey?

Fast forward to my wedding. When looking for my maid-of-honour I couldn't think of anyone I wanted to stand beside me more than my brother. So by cleverly changing the title to MAN-of-honour, I managed to manoever him into the role. He wasn't too happy about having to hold my bouquet during the ceremony but it was too late. Sucker.

So now he lives with his love, the beautiful new nurse Lisa, and her son just outside Montréal. But soon they're moving closer to Québec City. Which means farther away from me. I know they'll be happy there but since the world revolves around me, I'm broken-hearted about the whole thing. I only see him a couple of times a year as it is. And now it'll be practically impossible to get together. At least there's email, phone and this here blog.

So Happy (belated) Birthday, baby brother. Hope everything goes well in your life and I pray to see you at least once more before you go. You'll be at daddy's for Christmas, right? You better be or I'll tell him all about the time you...

kxx