Thursday, October 19, 2006

OMG, this is getting ridiculous

Someone brought my attention this article and I had to comment. Are you kidding me? Banning TAG? Come on, people. Most kids've never heard the terms "mailman", "policeman" or "fireman", they can't throw snowballs once their fort is built or give someone else a "snowjob". Soon they'll know nothing about Pluto and they can't bring peanut butter sandwiches to school. Now they can't play tag? Tag? Give me a break.

I don't even know where to start when it comes to complaining about this one. Things have gone way too far if the kids can't even run around at recess. What about all the big talk about obese children? They should be happy that kids want to get off their supposed fat asses in the first place. I predict that in 10 years, they'll call recess "independent learning block" and kids will have to spend it sitting quietly in the library. Poor things.

I think this is all about supervision in the schoolyard. I know that the majority of teachers have breaks or lunches during recess so the adult/child ratio is much higher. Fewer Adults + Tons Of Kids Running Around + An Accident = Law Suit. I get it. But banning tag? Teachers definitely need a break during their long day but there's got to be a better way.

And the final quote in the article:
"I've witnessed enough near collisions in the playground area", D'Elia said. "I support anything that makes the playground safer and helps teacher to keep track of them."...

I'm thinking her child may be one that needs homeschooling. The umbilical cord apparently doesn't extend as far as the school. Honey, "Near Collisions" + Kids = FUN. It's what you may have had before that stick got firmly lodged up your butt. "Near collisions" can only be avoided by a kid playing alone in a rubber room. You just can't keep kids from getting bloody noses and skinned knees. It's their job. You may as well ban fun.

kxx

No comments: