Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I'm in big trouble.

As some of you know I took up running a few years ago. I really got into it like I tend to do. I bought the gear and I actually ran. A few times a week almost all year long. I was dedicated. I ran 5K in about 30 minutes and even though it's just short of the world record pace, it was amazing for me.

After last May's 5K my good friend and running buddy Julie and I decided to sign up for 10K this year. The 5K is full of 14 year old boys and mums pushing jogging strollers. Not that there's anything wrong with that but getting beat by 14 year old boys and mums pushing jogging strollers is just embarrassing. At least when they beat my ass in the 10K, they'll have to go twice as far to do it. Nyah. So sign up I did.

Funny thing about 10K. It's twice as far as I've ever run. Ever. Once I ran 8K on the treadmill at the Y. It was because I was having a grand old chat with my friend Jim and just never paid attention to the time. And of course I've driven 10K. Plenty of times. Plenty. But run? 10K? Yikes.

To top it off I got a bike in October. I stopped running all through the Fall to bond with my shiny red bike. Then winter came and I'm totally not one of those runners. You know the ones. They run when it's -20C with frosty moustaches and beards and that's just the women. Those runners make me want to eat a box of doughnuts in front of the Family Feud. So I didn't run all winter. Then it got warmer but just not warm enough to put on that running gear. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So fast forward to today. It was 7C and not a cloud in the sky. Perfect running weather. I had my new runners and no more excuses. So off I went with my trusty pedometer attached to my waist. Surely I could go at least 5K. So at least I could feel confident and work on the other 5 in the 37 days I have left before the big race. 2.4K later my lungs were burning and my legs were water. I think I even experienced a series of mini-strokes. Hence the title of today's blog. What am I going to do? I obviously bit off more than I can chew here, guys. The best I can do is get my heart-rate up pretty high every day for the next 36 days and pray I don't humiliate myself by involuntarily evacuating my bowels as I haul my stupid, lazy carcass across the finish line. This bears repeating.

I'm in big trouble.

kxx

No comments: