Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I don’t know what to think

I sometimes wonder if I'm really a good parent. Most of the time I'm completely clueless and hope and pray what I've done doesn't scar my children for life.

Yesterday I picked up Audrey from the stables after my dragonboat practice. I noticed as she walked toward me that her shoulders were hunched. She didn't have her regular bounce in her step. I asked her what was wrong and she said "nothing". But I noticed she was not bucking up so I pressed her

Me: Is everything okay?
Audrey: Yup.
Me: I can tell you aren't happy.
Audrey: I'm fine.
Me: Audrey, you look sad to me.
Audrey: Well, I'm not.

Here she burst out crying. I didn't know what to do. I fired off a bunch of questions: Did someone say something to you? Was your horse difficult? Are you hurt? Can I help? All her answers were negative so I just hugged her until she stopped crying. We finally got back to the car and as she buckled up I told her she could tell me when she was ready. She said she wouldn't. By the time we got home she was perfectly fine. Her normal self in every way. I didn't even tell Scott about it. I mentioned it in passing this morning but she didn't say anything.

Should I drop it? I could ask her horseback riding teacher but she may have forgotten by next week. Should I attribute it to hormones? Should I keep asking her about it? Sigh.

Sometimes this mother gig sucks. How are we supposed to know what to do?

kxx


***edited to add***
She was crying about Monkey her rabbit that died at Easter. Ain't that a kick in the pants? Scott got it out of her days later. He and Audrey really have something that I'll never have with her.

No comments: