Monday, February 4, 2008

Oops!

I meant to write a blog before I left for the passport office but it totally slipped my mind.

Passport office you ask? Why I'm glad you did. I have the opportunity to go to Merry Olde the first week of April and I had let my passport expire. That necessitated a trip to my local passport office. But first I had to get my photo taken. Canadian law now says that I have to gaze unsmilingly into the camera for this photo. As those of you who know me in person and you who know me in photographs, this is virtually impossible unless you catch me unawares. I'm like a 2 year old. As soon as the camera comes out I start posing. The poor girl at the photo place had to keep telling me to:

a) "stop smiling"
b) "no teeth"
c) "more serious"
d) any combination of the above

Of course telling me that stuff is like telling a teenager not to laugh in church. It just made it worse. I kept giggling and blowing raspberries to try to relax my face. Finally she got something usable and off to the passport place I went.

I thought I'd have to wait in a long line with a bunch of frustrated would-be travellers and a few terrorists but that wasn't the case. I was greeted at the front door by a friendly kid who asked if he could help me. He took my name and asked me to sit off to the side and wait till they called my name. I was the only one there. About 2 minutes later a cute little old lady sat beside me and we started chatting about the weather. We were just starting to get to the reasons for our passports when they called my name. Seriously it was less than 5 minutes after I sat down. The girl checked that my form was properly filled out, that my photos were included and I paid and that was it. It. Done in under an hour including the 15 minute wait for the photos and the 10 minute drive to the passport office. It took me longer to write this blog. Never let it be said that this country doesn't rock. And I should have my brand spanking new passport in my hot little hands by the first week of March.

So what's new with you?

kxx

No comments: