Thursday, February 28, 2008

How was YOUR day yesterday?

Mine? Oh well, it sucked. Here's what happened. First a little of the back story:

Our minivan has a gas gauge issue. When it goes below 1/4 of a tank of gas, the sensor goes nuts bouncing up and down so you never know exactly how much you have. We've been filling it to the top when it starts doing this just to be sure.

Before Scott left for London Sunday it was doing it's thing so Scott put $30 gas in it (my first red flag... he should have filled it like we usually do) and said the ominous words: "That should keep you until I get back." (2nd red flag... I should have seen the ominous warning in that statement. I watch movies.)

Cut to yesterday morning. I start the car as it was freezing. It started no problem and I walked Henry to the bus stop. When I got back 5 minutes, the car had stopped running. Uh oh. I get in and try to turn it over. The car makes that comical trying to start sound. But it's not so not funny when it's happening to you, is it? And of course I know what's wrong. Out of gas.

Luckily I'm married to a guy's guy and know there must be a gas can in the garage. Unfortunately there are two. One looked black even through the red plastic but was helpfully labelled "NFG" which I know in Scott-language means "no fucking good". I turn to the second one and it's less than a quarter full with nothing labelled on it. "Please let this stuff be good", I pray as I tip the stuff into the gas tank. I get into the car and try to turn it over. Nothing. Damn.

I go into the house and think. I have 10 minutes before I have to be at work. I hear my neighbour shovelling and hastily put on my coat. I run over and ask for a ride to the gas station to fill up the gas tank.

Unfortunately his wife had the car. But fortunately he had a full gas can to lend me. Gotta love Canadians with snowblowers! He comes over to help and tips his entire can into my car. I get in, positive that this will work. It doesn't. My neighbour surmises that it must be because of the angle of our driveway which tips in towards the house. We have to get the car level.

Dammit! I can't put the car into the garage, it's full of stuff. And lots of it. So I have to face facts. I have to call our roadside assistance service. They tell me 45 minutes or less. Yay! I can get to work within the hour. I sit. And wait. And wait. 2 hours later the tow truck finally pulls up. He said he couldn't find the house as he was looking for a white van. Uh Oh. This "new" van isn't covered by our plan. I'll have to pay out of pocket. I don't care. I just want to get the hell out of here. The View is so boring.

Tow-guy pulls the car onto the level street and the traitorous machine fires up beautifully. I drive to the gas station bank machine with tow guy in close pursuit. When I get the $48, I wave it at tow-guy who refuses to take it. What? He called the depot while I was inside and they told him to waive the fee. Whew. Thank heaven for small mercies. See? A winning smile does have it's advantages. I threw $5 at him for his time (I realize now that was probably insulting), filled the tank to the rim and got to work only 3 hours late.

So how was your day again?

kxx

No comments: