Friday, September 7, 2007

What am I?

We were having a discussion at the dinner table yesterday and wondering what our nationalities are. Yes, we all know we're Canadian. No one was disputing that but what about our backgrounds or ancestries?

Scott's great grandparents are Irish and Scottish. They came to Canada in the 1800s so basically Scott is Canadian. But he's some percentage Irish and Scottish isn't he? What percentage is he?

Then there's me. My parents were born in Dominica and moved to Canada as adults. My brother and I were born here. So what percentage Dominican does that make us? What about percentage Canadian? And my kids? Are they Irish/Scottish/West Indian/Canadians? Is there an official formula that is used?

Not that it really matters but I'm curious. When people say they're 1/2 Japanese, 1/2 British, they mean their parents are from Japan and England, right? What if they're born in Canada, though? Aren't they Canadian? As Elliott would say, "I don't get it". Will someone explain it to me?

kxx

No comments: