Tuesday, September 4, 2007

It’s done




I'm alone. All the kids are at their respective schools and all is right with the world. I sent Elliott off first at 7:15. We walked together to the bus stop. There were other, older kids there and I gave him lots of outs but he still wanted me to go to the school with him. Cool. Then his bus was 30 minutes late. I knew I still had Audrey and Henry to get ready and Scott had to leave for work so when the bus finally came, I told him I wasn't going to school with him after all. He seemed okay with that. But was I?



Audrey was next and she's a walker. I fixed her hair and off we went to her school with Henry in tow. As soon as she saw her friends Rachel and Thyda she was gone. I hung around trying to look busy and chatted to some parents I knew then I was off to take Henry to his bus stop.
Thankfully his bus was on time. I told him I'd go to his school to make sure he got to the right class so I followed the bus in my van and met him at school. I met his teacher and saw some of his classmates and watched as he rounded the corner out of site as the bell rang. Whew.



When I got back to the car I realised that I wasn't quite as okay as I thought about sending Elliott to face his first day at middle school all alone. I sat behind the wheel and formulated a plan. His puffer. That was my in. He doesn't need it much... only when he exercises but he didn't have it on him today. So I did what any obsessive mother would have done. I brought it to him at school.



Now to give myself credit, I just left it with the secretary at the office and didn't actually see him but I was able to leave a note with the meds telling him how proud of him I am and that I was sorry I couldn't see him off today. So I didn't embarrass either him or myself by getting him called to the office and smooching his face like I wanted to. Win/win.



And now they're all gone and I have the rest of the day off work. I'm going to bake them cupcakes with Terra and do a couple of loads of laundry. It's going to be a great day.



kxx

No comments: