Friday, November 24, 2006

I gave blood Wednesday night

I have to say that giving blood makes me feel superior and terribly smug. Scott is afraid of needles and I never get tired of telling him how cool it is to watch the big sucking needle slide slowly into your vein. I love to watch him go green and queasy. Such a good wife. And this time for an added bonus we had our dialogue in front of Elliott so Scott had to uncomfortably explain what a good thing I was doing and how much of a wimp he was for never going. It's terrible the day a son realizes his dad can't leap tall buildings in a single bound. Hee.

Sometimes I go but can't donate. I'm frequently anemic and their test picks it up. Thankfully yesterday I was okay. Also, sometimes it takes me forever. Often over a half hour. One time the nurse pulled the needle out of my arm and saw that my blood had clotted in the tube because it was running so slow. Ew. Maybe that explains why I'm always so flipping cold.

Anyway, Wednesday the nurse told me I set a record for the day. My blood fairly sprayed out at a rate of a full pint in under 6 minutes. Not that it's a competition or anything. But just for the record, I won.

kx