Friday, May 26, 2006

The knife sharpening man is here!

Is this just in my neck of the woods or do you all have this too? A van with bells is slowly driving up and down my neighbourhood streets. Is it the ice cream man bearing sweet cold treats for children of all ages? Nope it's "Mike" the knife sharpening man with his truckload of grinding tools. Ahhhh, yes. Summer is here. My neighbour Mrs. W (she never refers to herself by her first name.. she's about 80 and still kicks it old school) is getting her lawn mower blades sharpened. I do have a pair of scissors I'd like sharpened but I despise Mike's deception.

Come to think of it I've never really seen a real ice cream truck. We sometimes had kids on "Dickie D" bikes that sold ice cream but mostly they stuck to parks and had the customers come to them. It's another one of those American culture things that seeped up here that whenever I see a slowly moving van and hear tinkly bells, my mouth waters and I crave a Revello (did you know they have a maple flavour out now? Mmmmm!). But nope, no treats. It's just Mike misrepresenting himself and making me hungry and cranky. Unless you think that wielding a sharp axe is a treat. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

kxx

No comments: