Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Scott and I went to a movie premiere last night.

The movie was called Hanna and it starred Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett. It opens Friday. I had never heard of it or even seen a trailer before seeing the film yesterday. I loved this movie. It was a cool premise, was really well acted and was super tense. But I wonder if my enjoyment had something to do with the fact that I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen next. I felt almost giddy all the way through.

When was the last time you saw a movie and knew nothing going in? After seeing even one trailer you know the plot, all the funny bits and sometimes even the plot twist. There is no surprise... none of that what's-going-to-happen-next feeling. That's what I had all through this movie. Plus it had a European vibe so I didn't even know if the main characters were going to live or die all through it. It's an amazing feeling.

People in the line up with us were all speculating as well. Someone said it was a sci-fi thriller. Another said it was a high-tech adventure. I don't want to spoil it completely for you in case you check it out for yourself, but neither was right.

I think it would serve the movie industry quite well to just give us the name of the film and the stars. Let us an inkling as to who the movie is geared toward so you don't end up seeing a costume drama when you wanted a Seth Rogan dope fantasy and leave it at that. It would really bring back the excitement, the childlike wonder feeling that we used to get at the movies. We pay so much for these things. You'd think we'd be getting a little more bang for our buck.

kxx

PS: I was going to post the trailer here but I thought it would defeat the purpose of this entire post. To give its makers credit, it doesn't give away a huge amount but it does give you more info than I had going in. So you get this trailer instead...



**Okay Facebookers, there's a YouTube clip attached here. You know what to do to see it...**

No comments: