Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sometimes I hate living in this town



Don't get me wrong... most times I love it but the hug situation gets me every time.

The other day I brought muffins into work. They were for the office but prompted by one of the girls who'd finished a really long job. I put them in the kitchen then went to her office to tell her they were there and why I'd made them. She made super grateful noises, looked me in the eye, stood up and started coming toward me. Now, if this was Montreal I'd have been positive she was coming in for the hug. But in Ottawa I'm never sure since most people don't hug. So there she was coming toward me, likely thinking that she just wanted to get by me and go for those muffins. So I backed away and let her by. But did I sense an awkwardness there that I rebuked a physical show of thanks? Or was it my imagination?

Later at my desk, I can't stop thinking about it. What if she was coming in for a hug and I backed away like a scared rabbit? Wow, that would have been insulting. But what if she was just trying to get by and I attacked her with one of my squishy squeezes? She'd have grounds for a sexual harassment case.

Damn this town and it's spotty hugging record. It's totally throwing off my "hug-dar". It was so much easier in Montreal. Everybody hugged each other and if you didn't like it you were the weirdo. So now I'm constantly thinking: "Should I?"... "Shouldn't I?"... "What if I do?"... "What if I don't?"...

Aaargh! My tiny brain.

kxx

2 comments:

themurrayfam said...

I saw the title for your jeans post on Sami's blog and had to laugh and read! (Hope you don't mind) Then scrolled down to this post about hugging and really understand!! I too am a hugger! And living in Southern California and Las Vegas most of my life have been very fortunate to be surrounded by huggers who don't care if they know you or not! For 4 years I have lived in a small town in Idaho and MISS THE HUGS more than anything, there are a few here that hug (and I'm so thankful), but I still have masive withdrawls and continually find myself in the same picture...should I/shouldn't I? Arg.

Karen Kaye said...

Well, if we ever meet, be prepared for a giant, squashy hug ;o). I've even been known to hug the postal worker after he's given me my mail. How huggy is that? LOL!

And thanks for reading my blog! I love when people find it who aren't blood relatives. I find it flattering that the nonsense that comes out of my head accessible to people besides yours truly!

k