Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Yesterday would have been my mum's 75th birthday


I do this a couple of times a year on her birthday and death day and this is no different. I usually rhapsodize about how terrific she was and how she's still missed like crazy. But after I toasted to her with my Guinness last night, I thought I'd like to tell you guys a few things she taught me.


Match your clothes. The woman was always stylish. Even though her style was giant shoulder pads and sweatshirts with pompoms or some such nonsense hanging off them. Hey, it was the 80's. But she still managed to rock those cheesy shirts.


Use a napkin. She always had food dripped on her fancy shoulder padded tops. She was a sloppy eater with a heart of gold.


Always wear a great fitting bra. My mum had enormous boobs. She always wore bras that were at least 3 sizes too small. Seeing her quad boob action made me want a breast reduction as soon as I could get one.


Learn to drive. She died before she ever learned. My dad drove her everywhere and never whimpered once. Ever. But now that I'm an adult I realize how crazy it must have driven him (no pun intended).


Smile. I never saw my mum cry or be sad until she got sick. She was always upbeat and positive and I know she's who I got it from. It's my most treasured inheritance from her.


So there you have it. A few things I learned from my awesome mother Mabel.


kxx


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom was simply the coolest mom ever. She always had a kind word for me and was so easy to make laugh! She's still got an amazing presence here.

Anonymous said...

I would add:
*When you laugh/smile, give it your all. She had a fantastic laugh/smile; truly contagious

*Keep your house spotless. I loved how ordered everything was (we occasionally lost Claudy as a child in the melee that was 4220!)

*Take pride in your bakes (I still long for them with salt fish)

*Take in strays (she had me over for a nice tea and chat when I was having issues with Edner and couldn't confide in my parents)