Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What happened to the summer?

There's only 2 weeks left until school starts. It went by in a flash, didn't it? Remember when we were kids and the summer seemed to last a whole year? When September came you were almost ready to be institutionalised again. We got a lot of stuff done this summer and had lots of great family moments and I'm glad. It was awesome having the summer off and being "the fun one" for a change. Once 5th September rolls around I go back to being the cruel taskmaster that drags each child out of bed by the hair, forcing them to make their own beds, fix their own lunches and do backbreaking chores like put their own dirty clothes in the hamper. I'm evil.

But before that happens we have one last summer task to complete. It's a tradition that we started a few years ago. What else does it involve but shopping? I take each child, alone, on a shopping trip for school supplies and clothes. And when we're done, we go out to eat, kids' choice (usually McDonalds). I love it because I so rarely get the chance to spend one-on-one time with the kids separately and of course who can deny the fun of shopping? Even for school supplies. The downside? McDonalds three times in one week. Ugh.

But we get to talk about how they're feeling about the upcoming year. I'm especially interested in hearing Elliott's take on his final year at Lakeview and Henry's on his first year at Bells Corners. Grade 1 and full days. I want them to tell me what they're excited about and what they're worried about. I really get to pick their brains. That day they get to choose their own lunchbox, knapsack and outfit for the first day. Audrey is always resplendent in pink. It really is a great last hurrah for the summer. And it helps me remember what great kids I have. Not that I can ever forget. I'll miss them when school starts. When they become the property of their respective schools, teachers and friends again. I'm going to hang onto them for dear life these next two weeks, that's for sure.

kxx

No comments: