Thursday, August 3, 2006

Is this weird or is it just my family?

When people ask questions like that they already know the answer, don't they?

Anyway, get this:

My dad is having his nephew from England and his family over at his house for 3 weeks. Sleeping over. The whole time. Don't get me started on that one. That isn't even the situation I want to share. I live 2 hours away from my dad and he thought it would be fun to bring the family over here for a day trip and tour Canada's Capital. Fun. Let's do it. Problem. My dad's car only fits 5 people and there are 6 of them. So what's the best solutionhe can come up with? The win/win scenario that would work out happily for everyone involved? Here it is. Prepare yourselves. My dad drives the cousins here and his wife takes the bus. Wha? Instead of them all taking a nice train ride or, God forbid, Frances stays behind for some much needed peace and quiet, they're letting her come here alone on a crappy, stinky bus. If it was me I'd enjoy staying home those hours, drink half a bottle of wine in the bathtub with my latest novel... after all they're staying 2 more weeks. Is this not bizarre to anyone else?

Well, not surprisingly, my dad called a few hours ago to say that Frances doesn't want to ride the bus so the trip is off. Off? Here's my other beef. Why not come by yourselves? Because Frances doesn't want to come by bus (and rightly so), he's depriving me from seeing my British cousins? Come on, people. Is it so horrible to go somewhere without your significant other? Are they that suspicious of each other they can't leave the other's sight for half a day? What kind of mischief do they think the other will get into? And what must they think of Scott and me? We hardly do anything together. In fact, the last time I went out was with his sister and great niece. The last time Scott went out was to hockey and drinks with his team. To quote the lyrics of the immortal Deja Voodoo: How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Am I wrong? Is this whole thing as crazy as I think it is? What a family. If we were a sitcom, people wouldn't watch thinking it was just too outrageous and unbelievable. Sigh.

kxx

No comments: