Monday, March 20, 2006

Happy Monday!

I'm the only one I know that loves Monday. Not only is it the official end of Spring Break, but it's also the end of the weekend. Don't get me wrong, I like to sleep in just as much (if not more) than the next person but something about the "unscheduled-ness" of the weekend that makes me crazy. I need order. I need structure. I need to be alone. I need Mondays.

So today is the first day of Spring. It's my favourite time of the year. Of course, we in Canada won't get actual springtime weather for at least another month. For example, today's temperature is -16C with the windchill. Not too encouraging for those posies. I'm still wearing my toque and snowpants, for goodness sake.

But isn't it great by the end of April when the grass starts to grow and the weather warms up? Of course you have to ignore the choking smell of defrosting poop in your nostrils but it's all a part of the magic, isn't it? Just what is that unholy pong anyway? I was told once that it was the odour of mud and organic materials warming in the sun but I'm sure it's plain old crap. Aren't you dog owners supposed to take care of that? Another point for us cat people.

So at 1:26 EST, I wish you a Happy Spring, Alban Eilir, Eostar, Eostre, Feast of Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Festival of Trees, Lady Day, Nowruz, Ostara, Ostra, Rites of Spring or Vernal Equinox. I hope you all enjoy whatever you celebrate, no matter what it smells like outside. A special shout-out to my Iranian friend Homa who's celebrating Nowruz by staying home from school and shopping for new undies. Gotta love a belief that encourages you to go shopping. Why can't we Christians have a special day where we have blow off work or school to go shopping? We can call it "The Festival of St.Mark(et)". So who's with me?

kxx

No comments: