Friday, April 9, 2010

Saying goodbye to Audrey Sr.

We are all off to a funeral later today. Audrey was Scott's aunt and had such life and spirit that we named our only daughter after her. She passed away on Easter Sunday. Being Catholic (even the Christmas kind), I find that strangely comforting.

As a Black woman married to a white man, I fully expected a little resistance when I joined his family. It never, ever happened. Not once. Everyone in his family was so wonderful and welcoming but none more than Audrey. She had twinkling eyes I loved right away, was warm and welcoming, full of happy smiles and tight hugs. I always felt like she was the grandmother I never had. I'm so very sorry to have to say goodbye to this wonderful woman today.

kxx


2 comments:

La Poetic Seamstress said...

My sincerest condolences on your loss, and may you continue to be blessed, when you see that twinkle in your daughters' eyes.

flask said...

i'm sorry to hear it; i'll hold you all in prayer.