Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Did you know?

This is something that struck me while driving last week. Did you know that the posted speed limit on the road is the maximum you can go? I know that when you go over the speed limit you get a ticket or fine but you can go under the speed limit by, say, 10kms and not get a ticket? Endangering lives by driving sub-light speed? There's something wrong with that, surely. In Montreal they have the right idea on some highways. They actually have a minimum speed limit sign.

I try to keep at the speed limit. I truly do. Never mind that I'm usually 10 or 20kms over it but the point is I try. I realized that if it was actually physically possible (without getting violently ill) for me to actually drive 80kms in a 100km speed limit, I wouldn't get a ticket. Because 100kms is the maximum. Gives you chills, doesn't it? When I give the finger under the dash (passive/aggressive, I know) to a mémère or pépère and blast by them as they crawl along at 80kms, I'm pissed. And I'm the one that gets the ticket? When the pokey-slow is, in essence, making me speed just to get past them? When they're the pylons? No fair. Now excuse me... I'm off to drive to work.

kxx

No comments: