Monday, July 16, 2007

Read this book!

I've just found the best series! I'm not one to read a book that teaches you anything. I hate books that make me think. I don't like books that try to change me. Anything school-y, preachy, dry or moral bores me silly. That's why I love chick lit. It's different from romance as there's no ripping of ancient bodices... not much kissing at all, in fact. Just a laugh-out-loud funny heroine doing zany things trying to get what she wants. And usually what she wants is a boyfriend, a perfect wedding or a great pair of shoes. To smash a common myth, usually you can tell a book I'll love by it's cover. It'll have a champagne glass with bubbles or a pair of shoes or a lipstick kiss on the cover. It's usually drawn in cartoon and 99% of the time it's pink, the title letters aren't in line or they're in a girly font. That's my kind of book. Deal with it.

Anyway, I was at the book section of my favourite department store and I came across a cover that I couldn't resist. I bought it and took it home only to find that it's book 5 of a 6 book series. Dang. Well, I can't read a series out of order, can I? The next day I went out and bought the first book and read it faster than any book in recent memory. 4 days. That may not sound quick to you but everything I've ever read has taken at least a week. Even books I've read and loved like Harry Potter. Even fluffy confections like this one. I ran out and bought the next book and read that one in 3 days. Three days. I was reading while brushing my teeth, on car rides (not while driving, of course), at the pool instead of swimming with the kids or drooling after Steven, even during commercials while watching tv. Talk about multi-tasking. I love love love these two books. Now today, I'm off to buy the third. And maybe the 4th seeing as I'm devouring them.

Oh, I realize I haven't mentioned the title or the plot (see and this is why I shouldn't become a writer?). The first book is called "Undead and Unwed" by MaryJanice Davidson (my new best friend). It's about Betsy who "wakes up dead" and tries to deal with the fact that she's also a vampire. And the queen of all vamps to boot. What's so great is that she doesn't abandon her family and friends like she's "supposed" to. She so funny and vain and selfish and materialistic and sarcastic... I want to be Jessica her best friend (and Black like me to coin a phrase) so badly. Who do I lobby to make this series into a movie?

So Elliott and I are off to the store once again. Second time in a week. I'm also going to do the unprecidented and email this author to tell her how she's made my life complete. Now if only they'd stop stocking it in the romance section...

kxx

No comments: