Monday, January 3, 2011

Stolen New Year's survey

Here's a way to sum up the previous year and let any newbies get to know me a little for the new year. The hard part will be trying to remember 2010 without cheating...

What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
I got offered a job I didn't take and kayaked for the first time. I also travelled to Europe with my family and became and officiant so I could marry my brother and his fiancée. Awesome!


Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make new ones?
I stopped making resolutions years ago. They're always the same... "lose weight" and "be nice". I may start nagging the kids more. I'm becoming known as "that mum". You know the one who lets their kids go days without showering or combing their hair and has all their friends over here hoovering the contents of my fridge.


Did anyone close to you give birth?
My bestest friend Kathy in London gave birth to my godson in June. Just when I thought that most of my friends and I would be starting a course of angina medicine.

Did anyone close to you die?
We lost my husband's aunt Audrey. She was as close to a grandmother my kids had and we loved her so much we named our only daughter after her. I still feel sad about that.

What countries did you visit?
So so lucky last year! We went to England and Brussels and had a few hours layover in Germany.

What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Besides a flat stomach, smaller feet and independent wealth? Nothing. Wow. So this is what it feels like to be fulfilled...

What dates from 2010 will remain etched in your mind?
Besides my birthday? No particular dates... just events.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Well, not counting my restraint in not pushing my 14 year old son down a flight of stairs, I'm most proud of running every weekday since August 2nd. Not once did I miss a day.

What was your biggest failure?
Totally drawing a blank. But that's good, right?

Did you suffer illness or injury?
*frantically knocking on wood* No, not even a cold as I recall...

What was the best thing you bought?
Two words: Christian Louboutin.

Whose behaviour merited celebration?
That's a toughie. Everyone in my life was pretty well behaved except...

Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Elliott. Not so much appalled but I was pretty sad all summer and fall because of him. I skipped a lot of meals and shirked a lot of duties... Things are waaaay better now.

Where did most of your money go?
Two words: Christian Louboutin.

What did you really get excited about?
There's nothing like packing for a trip abroad. All the promise, all the anticipation, all the shoes...

What song will always remind you of 2010?
"Fuck You" by Cee Lo. That song and that album (Ladykiller) were my all-time favourite of the year.

Compared to this time last year are you:
-happier or sadder? Just about the same level of happiness. I'm rarely sad but I often get um... indifferent?
-thinner or fatter? I'm lighter but thin is NOT a word I'd use to describe myself.
-richer or poorer? This close to Christmas? Poorer.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
The answer will always be paddling.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
I wish I'd done less tv watching? Less surfing? Less blogging? Less smart-assery? Yeah.

How did you spend Christmas?
At home with the family then out for a nice dinner made by my niece and in-laws. We were so touched to be invited to share the holiday with them.

Did you fall in love in 2010?
Two words: Christian Louboutin

What was your favourite tv program?
Where do I start? I love everything. My most favourite are Coronation Street, The Amazing Race, So You Think You Can Dance, Hell's Kitchen, Glee, Modern Family, 30 Rock, Community... SEE?


Do you hate anyone you didn't this time last year?
I don't hate. It wastes too much energy.

What was the best book you read?
Read? An actual book? Um. Well, this is embarrassing. I bought "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and read a third of it. That book made me want to read the original so I quit reading that one and started "Pride and Prejudice" again. Got halfway through that then life got in the way. So best book? Um... People Magazine.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Mumford and Sons. If you'd have told me this time last year that one of my favourite bands would feature a banjo, I'd have told you to go easy on the bong water.

What did you want and get?
Two words: Christian Louboutin.

What did you want and not get?
That flat stomach.

What was your favourite film of this year?
There were so many good ones but Easy A really stands out. It was brainless fun.

What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
This year I celebrated with my best friend Christian Louboutin and he helped me usher in my 43rd year.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A big lottery win.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
I wore more heels. Last year I dressed to satisfy myself and didn't care what everyone else was wearing.

What kept you sane?
Baking. Scott and lots and lots of baking.

What celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I have such a crush on Neil Patrick Harris, it's not funny. And now he's had twins and I'm still waiting on those photos, dude.

Who do you miss?
The answer will always be my mum.

What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm so not into politics.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
To remember as the mother of a teen, that I can't murder him so I need to take things more in stride. Just roll with the punches more and lean on Scott as needed. In June I'll have 2 teens in the house so I'd better learn some deep breathing techniques and have a prescription for Xanax standing by.

kxx

3 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Great list - but the twins photo are in the newest issue of People. Cute!

kirsten said...

Louboutins and Silly Bandz on the same arm . . . . . .

Karen Kaye said...

I know, Kirsten! How cool am I? LOL!