Monday, June 1, 2009

That's it. I'm going to say something very unCanadian. Ready?


Tim Horton's sucks. That's right. I said it.

I'm not a coffee drinker. Because of this, there aren't very many options for me if I want something hot to drink. Especially if the place I choose is a coffee shop. I get it.

But the longer I live the more non-coffee drinkers I come across. We're out there. A quiet minority, yes, but a valid bunch nonetheless. So why isn't there a viable option for us? There is tea and hot chocolate and that's pretty much it.

Last week I had what must have been the worst hot chocolate I've ever had in my life. From Timmy's. Picture, if you will, warm from the tap sugar water with about a 1/4 teaspoon of chocolate powder for colour. It was frigging horrendous. I've also had tea from there which was tepid water (again) with a dollar store teabag bobbing lifelessly inside. Poor thing.

I want to re-iterate that I'm well aware that Timmy's is a coffee place. Supposedly the coffee there is to die for but judging from the lack of care they put into other beverages, I've got to wonder.

Starbucks is a coffee place. But I jump every time someone asks if I want something from there. Why? Flavoured herbal teas. Tea lattes (the green and the chai are exquisite). Whipped cream. Hot chocolate that tastes like I made it myself. And at Christmastime the only thing I look forward to in the dismal winter season is Starbucks' apple cider. Frankly it tastes just like hot apple juice but it's hot and is flavoured with cinnamon, topped with whipped cream and drizzled with caramel. So delicious it isn't funny. This is what I mean about care. So what if I have to blow my entire weekly lunch budget on one drink. It's so worth it.

But Tim's isn't all bad. Besides the sugar blindness incurred by their dougnuts, they also make a pretty mean soup and sandwich combo. Which does me no good when asked if I want something from there. They mean a quick drink. Not juggling a sandwich and bowl of soup. I'll just wait until someone makes an all too rare Starbucks run.

kxx

No comments: