Thursday, December 16, 2010

On death and dying

Or how I survived a day without internet.

It just came back on. For those of you who read this on Facebook and don't realize I post these at around 11am every morning, it's now 5pm. That means I haven't been online from the moment I first tried to log in my run at 7:15am until just now. Horrifying. I even went through the 5 stages of grief:

  1. Denial: When I just kept repeating "it's just a modem issue... it's just a modem issue..." while futilely flicking the power bar button on and off.
  2. Anger: When I called Bell 3 times yelling "INTERNET!" at the top of my lungs at the prompt, simultaneously fuming and feeding the baby while listening to hold music on speaker-phone. Seriously, do you know the way to San Jose?
  3. Bargaining: When I tried to convince myself that walking around the cold neighbourhood looking for an open connection in -15C weather with the baby in a stroller would be the best idea ever.
  4. Depression: When I woke up from an hour long nap slobbering with the phone cradled in my arms wondering if my call was really important to Bell.
  5. Acceptance: When I didn't even wait to see if the light went green the final time I flicked that switch. As I walked away I heard Audrey exclaim "it's on!!!" (she had only just come home from school so she was only at "stage one").
I pushed my daughter roughly out of the way and here we are. So this is my blog today. Enjoy.

kxx


9 comments:

Simoney said...

Funny Kaye.
Been there.
Happy SITS day all the way from new ZEaland

Kimberly said...

I had a similar experience with my online service not too long ago.

http://www.rubberchickenmadness.com/2011/01/my-name-is-rubber-chicken-ma-and-im-an-internet-addict.html

Fortunately, I haven't had a service disruption lately...otherwise, I might have started to act like Charlie Sheen.

Unknown said...

Ha! I'm seriously laughing! This is so me! Screaming "Internet" at the top of my lungs like a mad woman.
I can't live without my internet.

Stopped by from SITS...

Marie said...

Oh I feel your pain, been there too many times to even think this is the least bit funny.

Marilenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marilenn said...

We just moved and had to wait a week for our internet connection. I was partly crazy and partly enjoying it on some level :D

Happy Sits Day!

LBDDiaries said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly we adapted to this little intruder in our lives? How did we ever live without the connection?? Visiting from SITS!

Karen V. said...

Love the take off on Elizabeth Kubler Ross' Five stages!! Just posted a tweet a couple of weeks ago - "Welcome to hell. We call it AT&T" because of my downed internet. I hate yelling into that phone only to hear "I'm sorry. I didn't quite hear that..." Never realize how much we need it until it's disrupted! (Congrats on the SITS feature! You have a beautiful family!)

CK said...

Oh my goodness, this is hilarious! I was totally bracing myself for a heart wrenching post but then I just got the giggles as I read on! I can totally relate to this!