Friday, May 18, 2007

Ack! It's International Day

At my kids' school. Of course I had to cook something. As most of you know my background is West Indian (Dominican to be exact) so instead of making something Canadian (Scott's background from way back), I opted for something I remembered from my family. Unfortunately I suck at cooking West Indian food. So I cheated and rushed out and bought a packet of a reasonable facsimile. Thank you Grace!

Then I felt guilty and decided to make egg nog. Not too West Indian and pretty Christmassy but my mum made it with a West Indian twist that made it taste like no other and, frankly, wrecked me for store bought stuff. Here's the recipe:

1 can Carnation evaporated milk
2 cans (use the empty milk can) skimmed milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp bitters
pinch of cinnamon
To make it really Dominican you'd add rum but since I made it for kids, I left it out. It was the responsible thing to do.

Have a great weekend!

kxx

No comments: