Monday, August 5, 2013

The Doctor is dead. Long live the Doctor.

Please allow me to completely geek out for today's post.

Yesterday on a live simulcast to the English speaking world (I'm not even kidding). We found out the name of the actor who would play the 12th incarnation of the Doctor on the tv programme Doctor Who. When I woke up in the morning I was positively giddy. I want to compare it to Christmas morning, but that would be ridiculous. Wouldn't it? Someone online compared it to waiting for the "white smoke". That may be more apt.



Anyway, when the time finally came, I held my breath and the man (thank goodness) walked out. His name is Peter Capaldi, and now that it's official, I can't wait to get my first t shirt with his likeness plastered all over it. What will his signature outfit be? Cosplayers around the planet are waiting to descend on thrift shops the world over. What will his catchphrase be? Oh and he's a man "of a certain age" which is to say I think many fans will complain that he's too old. All I know is that I'm thrilled at his "advanced" age. Two reasons:

1) The current companion is a nubile young thing so I can't see the writers making their "companionship" a thing. Which means I won't have to watch her panting hopelessly after him (I'm looking at you Rose and Martha)







2) That said, it stands to reason that, naturally, I can pant hopelessly after him. I'm just being real, here. The last Doctor was young enough to be my son, and my shameless drooling and pining were just straight up creepy. This doctor is closer to my age without being way too old for me (I'm looking at you Jean-Luc Picard)



Here's my favourite clip of New Who being all sexy and adult in a previous acting gig. This is definitely NSFW, folks.





After all that I'm thinking that "Get your goddamn arse in the fucking TARDIS!" in a thick Scottish brogue would be a great, edgy new catchphrase. I hope they let him keep it (the accent not the swearing. Although...)

kxx (Still giggling at "come the fuck in or fuck the fuck off")


No comments: