Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Matrix

In case you were one of the 2 people who were stumped by yesterday's quiz, the answer is The Matrix. And if you were stumped, I suggest you never play this game again. Some of them are impossible to guess.

So on to new business, yes? With much fanfare, the Oscar nominations came out yesterday. In the Academy's infinite wisdom, they increased the Best Picture nominees to 10 movies from last year's 5 effectively preventing the regular joe me from seeing them all before the really big show.

In years past, my BFF Kathy and I used to see all the movies together. When she sadly became unavailable, Scott took her place (as best he could, poor lamb). Seeing five movies in 6 weeks was difficult but not impossible. Expensive but doable. Ten movies is approaching the ridiculous. Going to that many movies in over a month would mean both mortgaging our house and entitling us to thorough head examinations.

So Scott and I have decided to go see the few that look the least boring and rent any that we can on DVD. The rest of the movies are SOL (shit outta luck). Not having seen all the nominees will take some of the fun out of the Oscar telecast but if I think about it the show isn't quite meant for us plebs anyway. It's for Hollywood insiders and rich movie mucky-mucks. They couldn't care less about me on my leather couch with my bottle of red wine, my Snuggie and my knitting staying up way too late to watch them accept their precious awards. Hmph. Remind me why I'm doing this again...

Anyway, the nominees for Best Picture are:
  1. Avatar ***seen it
  2. The Blind Side
  3. District 9 ***seen it... as of today having seen only 3 of these, this is my choice. AMAZING
  4. An Education
  5. The Hurt Locker
  6. Inglourious Basterds
  7. Precious
  8. A Serious Man
  9. Up ***seen it
  10. Up In The Air
See you at the Cineplex.

kxx

No comments: