Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back story obsessed

When I watch commercials involving people speaking to each other, I'm obsessed with figuring out their relationships. Sometimes it's simple and sometimes it seems convoluted. Lots of times it'll take frequent viewings to figure it out to my satisfaction. Many times I discuss it with Scott and if he doesn't agree with my often elaborate fantasy, it puts me in a strop all night. I clearly have too much spare time.

Sometimes the ad is super clear. It'll be a family interacting in their own kitchen. No problem. But if the family is eating and someone comes in and sits down, I have to figure out who the other person is.

In this one the family is getting ready for their day and the dad is getting picked up for his carpool. Simple.



When I can't make sense of the commercial, I actually get angry. I mean, why would I want to buy a product or service from a company that doesn't even have a clear ad?

This next one pissed me off all during the holidays. Yes, it's clear they are father and daughter but why are they acting so strange with each other? This was the convoluted explanation I finally settled on:

The girls parents divorced when she was young. Mother moved her away for years with little or no contact with the dad. Finally when the girl is old enough she moves back to dad's town to contact him and they try to establish some kind of relationship as adults. That scenario was my most sane. Others involved one or a combination of the following:
  • a jail term
  • cancer
  • murder/death
  • kidnapping
  • pedophilia/incest
  • military service
  • adoption
  • foreign scholarship


The story changed every time I watched it. Ugh. So irritating. So what do you figure? Save my sanity and my marriage. Help me figure out what's going on here.

kxx


No comments: