Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm so weird


As a complete and utter neurotic, I’m keenly aware of how I appear to others. I try to always be pleasant and not too grating (and most of the time I succeed). As the receptionist at my new job, I’m in a communal area and everyone walks by my desk. Three offices are within earshot of my little command post so I have to be aware of what I’m saying most of the time. I’m not conceited enough to think that the people in the adjacent offices are listening in on every single thing I say but if they put their work down and pay attention they can definitely hear what I’m saying.

So here’s the thing… as every one of my co-workers passed my desk, they asked how my Thanksgiving was. Frankly it wasn’t too interesting… Saturday was so incredible I don’t even remember what we did, Sunday I ate and drank more than I should have like most Thanksgivings and then spent most of Monday lying on the couch watching Maury “you-ARE-the-father” Povich and eating pecan squares. Nearly 20 people pass my desk. So instead of giving the same answer 20 times, to be kind to those within earshot, and to make my life more interesting, I varied my answers all day but still said the same thing. Hard work, I tell you. I used: “ate too much, drank too much, lazed too much”, “made a great turkey”, “relaxed all weekend”, “enjoyed the family” and many, many more. It was like the K-tel greatest Thanksgiving hits over there.

But now I’m done talking about it. But I did make a pretty darn good turkey, if you must know…

kxx

No comments: