Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fun with Twitter


I don't know why anyone is surprised that I have a twitter account. I'm on everything known to man. Facebook, MySpace, here... why not twitter? I use each one differently, though. Here's how:

MySpace: I used to use it a lot more when it first came out. But I have a homepage on there for nostalgia's sake because that's where I started this here blog. It's a strange place... So. Many Weirdos. All those times I was contacted by illiterate bozos looking for a little sumthin'-sumthin'... Yuck. It clearly says on my profile that I'm married, people. But I guess that's where the illiterate part comes in.

Facebook I love. Because of the intimate nature of the place, I often compare it to rifling through someone's underwear drawer. I love checking out your photos and I put all my downloaded photos on there, videos, keep in touch with high school, everyday and internet friends and have a link to this blog. Actually a lot of people read this blog through there, even though my preference is for them to come here to blogger. Hint hint.

Then there's twitter. I love it. I check it before I leave for work and as soon as I step in the front door. I don't use it for anything but checking out what the "stars" are doing. When I first joined I added friends but I preferred their updates on Facebook. Then I discovered tv and movie stars on twitter. But not the big ones or the mega stars. I tried people like Oprah, Ashton Kutcher and Ellen but after a while I realised that they were written by publicists. They were fake, phony, self promoting and had perfect grammar. Fail. Everyone knows trying to cram in what you want to say in 140 characters is neither perfect nor pretty.

I dumped those big blowhards as soon as I could. Now I focus on "smaller" stars. Actors from my favourite soaps and players from reality shows but again, not the bigger stars. It's neat because you get the inside scoop and little tidbits and photographs from the set. I've even seen their holiday snaps. And you can tell it's genuine because the pics are often blurry and grainy and taken at the end of an arm the way you do when there's no one else around to shoot for you.

Out of everyone, I have a soft spot for Ethan Suplee, the guy who plays Earl's brother Randy on My Name Is Earl. He recently went on a trip to France and was tweeting in French. I used my massive knowledge of the language and tweeted back en francais. A few minutes later, my cell phone went off. I had no idea but I had set it to go off when I got a direct twitter message. I looked at it and holy hell, it was a personal message from the man himself. How cool was that? That sure wouldn't have happened with Oprah.

So seriously, you can be my friend on twitter if you like but don't be insulted if I don't reciprocate. It's not you, it's me. Well, it is you, actually. I just don't think you're famous enough. So friend me on Facebook. I'd rather rifle through your underwear, anyway.

kxx

No comments: