Monday, June 11, 2007

Drama weekend

Looks like emergency services followed me this weekend as on Friday and yesterday ambulences and sirens were in my vincinity. Nothing to do with my family or friends, just in my periphery. The sadist in me thinks it's actually quite cool.

Yesterday the kids come in screaming from playing in the back yard. Apparently the fire alarm at the condos behind my house was going off. We went through our yard to the back of the building and around to the street in time to see fire trucks, billowing smoke and a woman being loaded into the back of an ambulance. Wow. Supposedly the fire started in her bedroom. Everything turned out okay at the end. The fire department controlled the blaze and contained the damage to only her unit.

On Friday afternoon my co-worker Linda and I wander across the street to our favourite kitchen store. It's one of the few places we can go what with our generous 15 minute break. I, of course, spent far too much money and chatted with the owner Warren about my haircut, Dickie D ice cream, cupcake carriers and the upcoming street party called Westfest.

When I got home from work that day, I flip on the tv to see that there has been a hostage taking in the west end of Ottawa. Guess where? Three guesses and the first 2 don't count. After 2 hours of craziness, Warren was let go with only a gash on his head from a plate broken over it and the suspect was arrested. How bizarre! I was just there! Anyway, ambulances again as Warren was taken to the local hospital but was released in time to join the fun at Westfest.

But isn't that something? What a weekend. And see how I made all that relate to me? All that fear and panic and it all comes back to me. How self involved am I?

kxx

No comments: