Friday, January 27, 2006

Today is Mozart's birthday!

I don't know much about classical music but I do know I have a love affair with the movie Amadeus. I remember when it came out in 1984 I saw it a record 5 times in the theatre, second only to the The Rocky Horror Picture Show which I've seen about 15 times.

I was 17 when the movie came out and it really had an effect on me. I'd never listened to classical music before and it gave me an appreciation for how beautiful and emotional it can be. I wish I had a musical background or that my kids had an interest in it. I'd be proud as anything to see them play at a recital. Although to be honest, my son Elliott is learning the recorder at school and when he brings it home to practice "Twinkle Twinkle" I want to put my head in the oven.

As it stands, I still have my secret dream (okay, not so secret now) to play the cello. The sound gives me goosebumps. I'm only 5'2 and have short arms and stubby fingers but I still hang onto that one. I can't even read music. Maybe someday I'll just see a cello up close and that'll be enough of a reality check for me. My playing will give everyone within earshot a nosebleed let alone goosebumps. As I said, it's a dream and some dreams should stay just that.

Anyway, Happy 250th Birthday Mozart. Save some chocolate marzipan frozen yoghurt for me.

kxx

No comments: