Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I feel so dirty


Right now in Ottawa we are enduring a transit strike. I've been vocal in my distaste for the striking bus drivers, saying they should run at least one crosstown bus for people who can't get around or maybe have transit declared an essential service like Toronto or Montreal so they'd at least have to run the buses at rush hours. That's what I say out loud.


But deep down, a little part of my heart is singing. See, we have a car. Almost every day Scott and I left it behind and took the bus to work. Now, because of the strike, I get to drive every day. Heaven. The only down side is that I haven't listened to my mp3 in over a month. The upside? No transit related panic attacks, no standing on a moving vehicle, no one stepping on my feet, no more having my face jammed into stranger's damp armpits because of my diminutiveness, no waiting for a bus that doesn't come, timely arrivals at home, no searching for bus tickets, no 15 minute walk to and from the bus stop...


That evil, secret part of me wants the strike to go on forever. I know. It's so wrong...


kxx

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Awww Karen, I so hear you, each thing has its pros & cons! I love to drive, but rush hour (why is it called that anyway?) just bites in a car, wish I was on a bus, so at least I could relax. I've been involved in 3 car accidents in just a bit more than 4 months... and I'm tired of that too :)

Anonymous said...

You're very lucky that you can park for free at work! I work downtown, have relied on OC Transpo (as do my kids and hubby) for over 5 years and the "fees" have gone from my $69 eco-pass to nearly $300 in parking fees, not to mention the gas that a mini-van eats up. I want this strike to end, so my hubby can go back to work, and the kids can go back to school. Getting home early is nice though. ;-)