Thursday, March 6, 2008

Those of you who know me know about my love for Archie Comics

It's one of those idiosyncrasies that make me the well rounded person you all know and love. Anywho, I've been buying and collecting the digest magazines since I was about 10 years old. I've really cut down on buying them lately but have amassed a collection of at least 1000 of the things. Ah, if only they were worth money. Not that I'd sell them or anything.

But to be honest I have a few that may be worth a couple of bucks. I have the first issue of Pals 'n' Gals. I have a superhero edition where the gang turns into Pureheart the Powerful (Archie), Captain Hero (Juggie), Superteen (Betty) and Evilheart (Reggie). I have issues so old that there's a duck character (Superduck) who actually beat up his son. Abuse has got to be worth something. I'll check on ebay.

Remember Little Archie? Those comics had Ambrose and Fangs Fogarty. Sometimes he'd solve crimes. The bad guys were Mad Dr. Doom and Chester. I even have an issue when the gang visited Canada. And what about Betty? Did you know she has an older brother and sister? Polly and Chick. Ummm... Moose's real name is Marmaduke. Jughead's? Forsythe. Did you know that yonks before Harry Potter, the first Hermione I ever heard of was Veronica's mother?

I still buy them if I'm left too long to wait at the grocery checkout. But I have to admit I hate the newer ones. I think they're trying to deflect homosexual rumours by making Jughead date girls from time to time. Yuck. If he's gay, he's gay. There's nothing wrong with that. Only, I prefer to think of him as having a love affair with food. I think I still buy them to see if Archie has finally made up his mind and chosen Betty. I mean really. Did Veronica ever really have a chance? She's rich, high maintanance and spoiled rotten. Betty is down-to-earth, willing to get dirty and knows how to fix Archie's jalopy. The perfect woman.

I'll just add to my collection and when I die I'll be that weird old lady with the attic full of yellowed comic books worth a fortune. That's fine. At least I'll leave a legacy to the kids. It's better than being the crazy cat lady.

kxx

No comments: