Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thursday Three Things

It's Thursday and, as always, it's time for the Thursday Three Things.

Did you to go back and check if I've actually ever done this before? Ha! I've never done this before but I thought I'd give it a try it today.

So for the inaugural post, I thought I'd tell you three things I absolutely love about myself. Yes, I know how that sounds but as I've said many many times and in fact have that as my slogan on twitter (@mamashake if you're interested), I have high self esteem.

  1. I love that I'm good with kids. I got my ECE (Early Childhood Education) degree under duress in 1993 (long story maybe for another post) but I never looked back. Before I had kids of my own it was handy but now that I have my own, it's been invaluable. Even though ECE studies children up to 12, I'm finding dealing with teens nearly palatable and I blame it on a good foundation.
  2. I love that I know sign language. I'm definitely not as fluent as I used to be but I still remember quite a bit. I have fun teaching the kids in my class and the few times I've run into deaf people in real life, I love that I can communicate. Once, years ago, I translated scuba diving instructions for a deaf couple on our Jamaican cruise and I was never more proud that I knew how.
  3. I love that I can drive. I know that's a weird one but I think every time I take the car out, there's a moment when I swell with pride. My mother lived her whole life without ever driving and I didn't learn myself until I was in my early 30s. My dad (almost) always seemed happy to take her anywhere she wanted to go even when she was a nurse working the night shift. It seemed like such an imposition even though he never complained. With our 3 kids all in activities, a shitty, undependable and expensive transit system and plenty of things to do ourselves, there's no way I couldn't drive.

And that's about it. Well, actually I love lots more things about myself like my teeth, my sense of humour, my vast knowledge of pop culture and my Converse collection but there was a limit. Maybe next time I'll do a Thursday Thirty Things...

kxx



1 comment:

Farm Fresh Feasts said...

You made me smile tonight!