Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Okay, can I talk about Virginia Tech?

Let me say that I'm very sorry for everyone touched by this tragedy. It shouldn't have happened and it sucks. But I wonder why no one is talking about gun control. I know that this sort of thing happens everywhere whether there is gun control or not. Recent shootings in Europe and even here in Canada speak to that but the idea that anyone with 3 free days and a drivers licence can kill me is terrifying. Everytime I hear of one kid showing another his daddy's gun and it fatally went off or one driver shooting another after being cut off in traffic, I'm shocked and amazed. How can this stuff happen?

I'm no scholar but shouldn't people be more pissed off with a system that let this lunatic get a hold of a lethal weapon than the lunatic himself? He needed help, not a Glock. Yes, I know guns don't kill people, people kill people but wasn't the constitution written in wild west times? When people absolutely needed a gun to defend themselves, their families and their land? What are you meant to defend in this day and age? Your Starbucks coffee order? I just don't get it.
I'm so very sorry this had to happen but maybe it'll be a catalyst for change. Awful events usually are. If I was personally touched by this unimaginable event I wouldn't want my loved ones to have died in vain.

kxx

No comments: