Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I love the human brain.

I'm assuming this happens to everyone... if not, I love my brain. I blogged about this before but I think it's cool so here's another one.

I was listening to one of my favourite Morrissey albums and I had a flash of memory during one of the songs. In my memory I was still living at home with my parents and I was walking to my bus stop, head down with my nose in a book. I was listening to the song -- the album, actually-- on a loop. I even remembered the name of the book and the name of the main character. When I told this to Scott, I was able to recall the basic plot as well. Funny thing is, this memory had to be over 20 years old so those facts couldn't be right, could they?

To the internet! I googled "Long Dark Night" (the name of the book) and tada, there it was. And the name of the main character (Boyd Ritchie) and plot was dead on as well. To my knowledge, I'd only read the book the one time and I've never seen or thought about it since. But it was seared into my memory because I'd read the whole thing cover to cover with the same album "soundtrack" playing the entire time. How's that for a trained brain?

Of course where is that ever trusty brain when I can't even remember my kids' names or my own wedding anniversary? Which, btw, is a week from today. But don't ask me to remember how long it's been. My usual answer is "Since 1993. You do the math". Because I can't do it anymore.

kxx

No comments: