Saturday, February 4, 2012

When was the last time you "had a moment"?

Earlier this week I was sitting in my car on my way to work when I burst out crying. I cried and drove for a few blocks, then wiped my tears and it was over. I had had a moment.

It was prompted by a couple of things. That morning when I got dressed, I grabbed for a pair of earrings and noticed that they were the pearls my brother and I gave my mum for her birthday. The last she had before she died. No problem. Worn them a million times. But then in the car they played "Celebration" by Kool And The Gang which was her favourite song. I felt like she was saying "hi" and I just lost it. Those things usually don't set me off but that day they did. The thing that made me stop blubbering was wondering what must the other drivers be thinking (hostage situation? raw chopped onion sandwich?) and the fact that I must be the only person in greater Ottawa that is wailing during what must be one of the most happy songs in the world. I started to giggle and that was it.

I felt great after. It was one of my best days of the week, in fact. These bawling sessions don't happen very often or last very long but they sure make me feel great. I'm curious. Do they happen to you? How often? What's your trigger? How do you feel afterwards?

kxx

2 comments:

Arwen said...

Usually, mine are cathartic, but, annoyingly, this week my TWO moments were due to work stress. Sigh. Glad you had a good one, though, and that your mom said hi! Hugs!

April said...

I've been having these a lot lately because I am 37 weeks pregnant. :-) But, normally, I do still have them every once in a while. Sometimes they are cathartic and sometimes just sad. I'm not always sure what triggers them-a memory of sorts.