Friday, March 23, 2018

When was the first time you felt old?

I'm 50 now (harrumph!) and I've never been in better shape. I can lift a ton (not an actual ton (d'uh)... but I can bench more than half my weight) and do over 20 boy push-ups in one go. I've lost over 10 pounds and I'm feeling great and super strong. That said I feel old.

No, not look old (I still look relatively uncracked) but there are things that happen on the daily that remind me of how old I actually am. Like the time I threw out my back just by coughing and the time I nearly got run over by a car as I chased a $5 into the street like the old miser I am.

The first time I really felt old was around 2000 when I went to my first parent/teacher meeting. I couldn't believe this was me. When did I become a responsible adult? Then I started seeing really suspicious things all around me. The guy I thought was cute at the grocery checkout was old enough to be my... cousin. My doctor, who seemed really old to me at the time, made a reference to The Electric Company that I understood. Singers looked like children and sang songs I didn't understand. The Thong Song? No. Mambo #5? Why?

Now it seems that everyone is younger than me. Henry's high school principal, my new doctor, all my cool neighbours, my co-workers, even the Prime Minister. People who are supposed to be older than I am. Welp, at least I can find solace in the fact that I can bench press more than most of these children...

kxx





No comments: