Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I've got mail!

About a week ago I got a package from London in the mail. It's been ages since I've gotten any personal mail and even though I was expecting it, it was still a charge. Remember when getting a letter (without a window) was a normal occurrence? When seeing a handwritten envelope was an everyday thing?

I know email is an amazing convenience. I don't think I've sent a handwritten letter in 3 years. Not even a Christmas card. Those (if I send them) only get signed with a quick "Happy Holidays!" scrawled inside. But the thrill I got when I saw my name written in pen on the front... it was nearly a squee-worthy moment. I almost felt like I won a prize.

This is the season of cards and update letters so even if you don't send them out, maybe try mailing one letter. A personal one written with pen and paper (typed and printed doesn't count), stuck with stamps and hoofed out to your nearest mailbox (which seems to be further and further from the house every year). It may be one of the cheapest yet most appreciated gifts you can give. Think about it. I've got someone in mind already.

kxx

2 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

How cool is that?
I love love love getting mail that is personal and not a bill. :-)

I send hand written thank you's via snail mail and people are always so amazed. I still send birthday cards etc as well. I know you can do it on facebook or email but it's so cold. I think it shows an effort was made for that person on their day. And my small nieces get a real kick out of it. Even better than skype to them!!

Sandra Wilkes said...

My mom is 91 so she doesn't do email and such. today we mailed about 15 cards to loved ones....stamps and everything. I know they will love them. I get how exciting for you!