Monday, December 13, 2010

Ugh. Christmas cards.

Before I had kids, I'd dutifully buy a package of 25 religious cards, painstakingly address every one, sometimes even calling people (before Canadapost.ca) to find out their postal codes. Instead of just writing a simple "To Jennifer, Love Karen", I'd write an endearingly personal note like "Hey Jenny, hope you got over that scary stalker/sebaceous cyst/groin pull that was bothering you. Have a great Christmas and awesome New Year!!".

After I had kids, I'd dutifully buy a package of 25 Santa cards, address them to the people who sent me cards the year before, scrawl a quick "To Jenny, Love Karen" but also include a little photocopied note in each one regaling them with stories of our lives the year before. You know he kind: "Hi from the Knoxes! At 4, Elliott is finally out of diapers, Audrey has almost mastered bathing without us having to call the Coast Guard and Henry's greatest feat is screaming bloody murder in his sleep. Scott and Karen are desperately trying to lay off the sauce to take care of their precious treasures."

The next stage was to dutifully buy a package of 10 Far Side cards, wait until the 20th of December until I saw who sent me cards first, quickly scrawl "Love the Knoxes" in each one and express post them so they get there in time for Christmas.

The past 2 years I just don't bother. In fact, when I go to the mailbox I live in fear of someone sending me a Christmas card. I just don't have the time or the inclination to return the favour. I'm so sorry. I do love my friends and I do wish them a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Sincerely. But do I really have to use a pen, spend $2 on a card, $.75 for a stamp and hike all the way to a mailbox in the cold to mail it? Really? In this day and age? There's got to be a more modern way to do this.

And just a side note, as of today, I have two cards. One from my brother and sister in-law and one from my mailman. Thank you for thinking of me. They're both on display but I can't help but feel guilty that I'm not intending to do anything about them.

kxx

No comments: